The Attention, Defense, and Respect You Deserve!

How to Collect Out-of-State Judgment in Minnesota

Just because you get a judgment against someone doesn’t mean that you automatically get the money. Often, collecting on a judgment can be as difficult as getting the judgment in the first place. This is especially true when the debtor has assets in another state. So, how do you collect on a foreign judgment in Minnesota? Here are some basic questions:

Can I use my foreign judgment to collect assets in Minnesota?

The short answer is yes, but there is a process you must go through. First, you must domesticate the judgment. That means opening a Minnesota case in a Minnesota district court and providing a certified copy of the out-of-state judgment. This process allows you to use Minnesota collections laws to satisfy the foreign judgment.

How do I collect on a judgment in Minnesota?

Minnesota offers many options for collecting a judgment. A few common methods are garnishing a bank account, garnishing wages, or having a sheriff seize property and selling it at auction. The rules for each procedure are quite complex, and it is important that you strictly follow them so that you maximize your recovery and do not become vulnerable to having funds clawed back.

How do I start domesticating a judgment?

Because the domestication action occurs in a Minnesota court, you will need a Minnesota litigation attorney to assist you. Experienced Minnesota civil litigation attorney Eric Rice has experience domesticating judgments and collecting for clients. If you have an out-of-state judgment and need guidance on how to proceed, please contact Eric Rice at (651) 998-9660 for a free consultation to learn about your options.